But some days, our schedules don't allow any time to write. That's when we need to set goals--to make time! Here's my advice:
- WHAT'S YOUR SETTING? - I can write just about anywhere: waiting rooms, baseball fields, the pool, or anywhere I can find a quiet corner. Whether you need silence or sound in the background - we all have a special setting that helps us produce the best writing. How about you?
- WHAT'S YOUR TIME FRAME? - How much time do you need to feel like you've accomplished something? And is it reasonable to carve that much time into your schedule?
- WHEN DOES YOUR BRAIN WORK BEST? - Are you a crafty night owl? Or an early bird setting a trap for that worm? Pick the best time you can manage to steal!
- WHAT'S YOUR PRIORITY? - Do you have a deadline? Or can you freestyle? Sometimes, when we get that hallowed writing time, we spend half of it deciding what to work on. To save time, I jot down a list and revise it as I go, but sometimes I can write away and ignore it. It's your writing time, use it as you see fit!
- DON'T WASTE IT! - Stay off social media! Unless you are specifically using your writing time to research, organize, advertise, or publicize, DO NOT SURF! Save that for your other down time. We have work to do!
Now put all your answers together and set aside some time for YOU to WRITE. Voila! A customized, doable goal. And don't worry how much or little writing you get done--just keep at it!
I have been friends with Angela forever! She's positively perky, she always tells it like it is, and she's an excellent source for all things YA - especially dystopian and urban fantasty. She's published NEVERLOVE and THEY ALL FALL DOWN of the Shadow Jumpers series, FRAILTIES OF THE BOND and ATONE of the NEO Chronicles, and Coming Soon: BEACON, published by Evernight Teen publishing.
She's also a part of Untethered Realms - a supernatural compilation of anthologies by a stunning group of authors - check it out on Goodreads.
Hope you have a great week!
And don't forget to enter my fun summer GIVEAWAY!
a Rafflecopter giveaway