Wednesday, October 5, 2022

What's your purpose?

Did you always know you wanted to be a writer? Ever think you had a bigger purpose?

Many of my writer friends started penning stories in grade school. When I was little, I loved playing pretend, but I couldn't sit still long enough to write down my stories. I was also a very organized, outspoken, and bossy child--anyone who knows me is not surprised by this, ha! Not a typical writer's attributes... In addition to those, I have always liked helping people. All those qualities along with life experiences led me to be a teacher, and deep down, I probably always knew that's what I wanted to be. 

Writing came later, and the passion for it took me by surprise. Now I'm blessed to be able to do two things I love.

But I'd like to do more. I often wonder, with so, so many people in the world, how can I make a difference? I want to contribute more, reach more, help more. I hoped writing would give me a way, and I started doing presentations at schools--then the pandemic hit. When we started coming back to life, I felt much smaller. Everything stopped. It was like starting over, but I don't have the gusto I did when I was first starting out. Social media has become tainted. I'm afraid of being judged and shunned. I just don't know what I should do...?

All I can do is keep trying, right? So this is what I've been up to:
  • I mentioned last month that I finally started writing again, and submitted a short story and am a part of a Christmas Anthology. so yay!
  • And I get encouragement from our weekly Tuesday night writer's chat - you should join us! (See link in the side bar.)
  • They also inspire me to look for events--tis the season and all that jazz coming up... so I'm searching. I was recently rejected for the umpteenth time from a big local book event. Not surprised since I'm not traditionally published anymore. I need to get my latest book done! Book events like a new title and are usually free. Vendor events don't care what you're selling, but cost a bunch to get a table--risky if you may not make a profit or at least break even!
  • Lastly, I signed up for a local Writer Happy Hour in November. It's hosted by Jane Friedman, someone I've been following for years. She lives nearby and worked for Writers Digest. I'm anxious and excited!
Tell me something good! What keeps you going? What are you up to?

Have a fun and spooky October!

via GIPHY

9 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

Love that candy corn gif!

Looking forward to hearing how the happy hour goes. Sounds like a great opportunity to connect with other writers and/or industry professional-types!

Cathrina Constantine said...

Congrats on the Christmas Anthology! I haven't been writing at all. I feel dried up. I pushed my WIP aside. I'm hoping my muse will return some day.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome about the short story!
Things are different now. Hope you find a good venue before Christmas.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Congratulations on the anthology story. Short stories are my favourite.

Jemi Fraser said...

The Happy Hour sounds great - can't wait to hear about it!
I'm always so impressed with your willingness to do author events.
No one changes and influences the world like teachers. Your impact on every student is huge!!

Loni Townsend said...

I'm glad you're finding a way back to the writing life you had pre-pandemic. I admire teachers. You have way more skills at handling people than I ever could imagine.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The only "school" event I've done this year was via Zoom. Still looking for more events this year, but we can only do so much, right?

Carrie-Anne said...

Congratulations on your story being accepted!

I keep meaning to participate in the Tuesday chat, but then I forget about it. I'll have to add a reminder to my phone.

Jimena said...

Hello everyone my name Ximena Jimena from Cuba i want to use this medium to inform the world on how i got cured from Herpes & diabetes at first when i had symptoms back in 2014 i went for test and it came out positive i lost hope of getting a better relationship or marriage, everything changed when i met Dr Itua i contacted explained everything to him and he said he has the cure so i decided to order it from him, so i actually did after 2 weeks i went for test and i was negative i'm forever grateful to him.he can also cure all diseases
email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com Dr Itua can also bring back your ex lover and make him or she love more than ever.

Popular Posts