Happy IWSG Day! (Find more inspiration on the IWSG Facebook page)
Today I'm reflecting. I'm going to talk about the various stages of an author's life in this day and age as I've experienced them up to now...Perseverance is key!
- New writer gets a story idea - I can do that! Writing is fun!
- New writer boldly sends samples for critiques on writing websites - I stink! I need help!
- Writer goes to conferences, takes classes, gets critique partners, enters contests
- Now writer has more positive feedback - I'm not so bad! I think I'm ready to find an agent or publisher!
- Writer discovers she needs to write query letters, synopsis, bios, blurbs - I can do that!
- Writer gets no feedback or rejections galore - I stink! No one likes me.
- Take heart dear writer! Don't give up! Someone will click with your writing!
- Writer gets request for full! Writer gets offer! - I am talented! I don't stink!
But though that's a happy ending, it's only the beginning of our story...
- Writer edits, decides on cover, edits some more
- Release day! All friends and family buy book. Yay!
- The day after release day and forever more! Marketing & Promotion. I find this stage to be the hardest part! But we carry on and we keep writing! What else would we do?
getting on the bus after
being doused with mud.
singing the next verse after
cracking on the first.
writing the next book after
getting bad reviews.
trying again and again
until it's done right!