Are you ready? Do you have a plan?
As a teacher I'm supposedly going to have all this free time when school gets out. But usually when I find myself with extra free time, I squander it and get nothing done. Well, not so in the summer! (ha ha, yeah, right)
- I put together a master schedule that includes all of our activities - because we don't often sit still and if you need a ride or want to have a sleepover, you have to check the schedule.
- I post the Reading Chart - it has 50 days on it. The boys mark off each day they read. They get rewarded at the halfway point and the end. (This helps with their summer homework
- I hang the Things To Do When I'm Bored list - I update it yearly as they get older. I won't let them sit around and play video games or watch TV all day!
- I make a Chore Chart - one of the least favorite Things To Do, but these are required. I really ask so little of them!
- This year, I'm going to teach my older boys how to do laundry - some of you have already done this, but sometimes teaching my boys how to do something is more frustrating than just doing it myself.
- I'm also going to have my oldest plan a complete meal for our family. I had to do that for a project in a human civics class (I never took home ec) And I learned a lot from the experience.
- And all of that stuff is just for my boys!!
Here's what I hope to accomplish this summer, besides all the baseball games:
>> a lot of writing in the mornings while they sleep in, yay!
>> squeeze in a pilates class or two a week - wish me luck!
>> shop for myself once or twice
>> do several book events!! yay!
>> visit a blog friend or two, I'll keep you posted!
>> and tackle my basement!
The basement's been on my list every summer, but this is the year I can't put it off any longer. I only have about a year left with my oldest and I have to organize all his pictures and memories and (waaaaaahhhhh!) It's okay. I'll be all right. He sounds like he wants to go to college closer to home, so we'll still get to see him. I look forward to seeing how he turns out!
What plans do you have for the summer?