Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Feedback is life

Welcome, IWSG-ers!

As a writer, we type away, drafting, editing, laughing, sobbing, pouring our hearts an souls into our stories. Then it comes time to push the little bird out of the nest and hope it flies! But before we let strangers see it, we need to know if we're doing it right. We need FEEDBACK!

Constructive Criticism and Honest Praise are essential elements to a writer. Here are some places to seek this valued commodity:
  • Critique Partners - you read mine and I'll read yours and we'll give each other honest opinions and advice
  • Beta Readers - not necessarily writers, but willing to read and give feedback
  • Critique Groups - live meetings where everyone shares their stories seeking feedback
  • Reviews - before and after publishing - serious stuff, just don't freak out over one- and two-star drivel. Those just show you've made it!
Whatever route you go, don't be afraid to ask for feedback. We only improve and expand our knowledge by listening to what others have to say (and using it or not as we see fit!)


Now here I offer a review of C. Lee McKenzie's latest release...

NOT GUILTY
by C. Lee McKenzie

A bloody knife. Wrong place, wrong time, and fits the description. Just like that, Devon's future is over.

How can he prove he's not guilty?

Intense emotion and connections grab you from the beginning. One fateful day everything changes for Devon -- the star of the basketball team about to snag a full scholarship to the college of his choice. And it all happens so fast, accused, tried, and convicted of stabbing one of his arch enemies. But he didn't do it, and no one will listen.

At first, it was hard to take all the negative things piled one on top of the other to the point of hopelessness. But then Devon's devastation opened him up to a whole new world. He had to deal with what happened and gained new friends and a new perspective. Plus a few twists neither one of us expected!

AMAZON   B&N   KOBO   SMASHWORDS   GOODREADS 

Check it out!

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have test readers and critique partners. And of course my publisher's editor attacks my stuff.
Lee's book is rocking it!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Constructive criticism and honest feedback are so important in helping us improve our work.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

And it's best to seek feedback from all of those sources.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I need critique partners. It's time.

Teresa C.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I owe so much of my sanity maintenance to my betas.

Chrys Fey said...

Feedback truly is important.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm in a critique group, and we're meeting tonight. It's so helpful. And I really enjoyed Lee's book too.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Not an author I was previously aware of, I'll be sure to check this novel out though as it sounds like my kind of read.

cleemckenzie said...

I couldn't have written the books I have without the help of my critique partners. They never let me get by with anything, and for that I'm grateful.

I'm also grateful for bloggers like you, Tara. You've really helped be get the word out about Not Guilty. Thank you for reading and reviewing the book. I know the time it takes, and I know you're one busy author.

M.J. Fifield said...

I love my betas and CPs...even if they never let me get away with anything (Perhaps even because of that...)

Congrats on your latest release, Lee!

Juneta key said...

Great post. Congrats Lee! Finding a writing partner critique or not makes a world of difference to your personal writing life when you suit and match. No amount of gold for that I thank God every day for mine.

Diane Burton said...

Lee's book is so intense. Like you, I had a hard time with all that Devon was going through. Until I moved, I used to have a great critique partner. We'd meet for lunch, gossip, and critique. lol She always had great insights. Have a great writing month.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I've been seeing this book everywhere. It looks like a compelling read.

Sattakingin said...

Do you suffer from insomnia? Try taking a nice warm bath before you go to bed. This will relax your muscles and reduce stress so that you can fall asleep when you go to bed. You need to make sure that it is a warm bath, not a hot bath. A hot bath can actually stimulate your body and prevent you from falling asleep.satta king
play bazaar

Play said...

You need to do the opposite. The minute you have the ball, dribble up court slowly. Or take a time out if you've got one available.satta king
play bazaar
satta matka

Unknown said...

Cautiously watch different markets. Land, stocks, and different markets are connected to Forex, and once you become an accomplished dealer, you will start to figure out how they all influence one another. Watching these business sectors to search out these patterns can assist you with turning into an increasingly fruitful and powerful Forex merchant. Satta King
Play Bazaar

Popular Posts