Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Feed Me!

Feedback makes us grow - and sometimes cringe. But it's imperative to writers. We need to know what readers (and other writers) think.


So welcome to my October IWSG post promoting FEEDBACK! I appreciate my critique partners and readers so much! Especially when I start to doubt myself...



And that's why we need feedback. When it's negative or "constructive" we can improve. When it's positive we feel encouraged that we aren't completely wasting our time. So give feedback when you can, it's very important to a writer. BTW, silence can also be read as negative feedback. I have been guilty of that. 


So let's try to step up the feedback! I have a couple of friends counting on me right now, so I need to get to it!

Can you tell I've been at school for a while with all the memes? Not getting much writing/editing done, but I'm trying. Haven't given up yet... You hang in there too!

PS - Stop by the IWSG Anthologies page and check out images of our stories and how we see them... Good luck if you entered the latest contest!

Happy October, my spooky friends!



14 comments:

Steph W. said...

I need to do more feedback, too! Happy IWSG :)

Rachna Chhabria said...

Feedback makes us writers grow. I enjoy reading feedback for my books and stories.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I always appreciate constructive feedback.

Jemi Fraser said...

Feedback is such a huge component of growth. Teaching kids the difference between critique and criticize is powerful.

Carrie-Anne said...

Feedback given respectfully and with the writer's style/intent in mind is the best kind of feedback of all. I've seen too many people, doubtless trying to show off with how well they know the current supposed rules, ripping everything apart just for its own sake. I had one attempted crit partner, much younger than I am, even criticise my choice of typeface (Palatino), that my first line was in large bold italics, and that I didn't have a title page listing the wordcount, my name, the title, and a few other technical details.

Before this endless lockdown began, the rules in my local writing group were that we had to preface each submitted excerpt by stating exactly what we wanted critique of (grammar, big picture, a certain scene, word choice, premise, dialogue, etc.), and what we didn't want critiqued. We also tried to do the sandwich method, putting critiques between praises.

Diane Burton said...

Love the memes. Criticism and critique are 2 different things. Give me critiques any day.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Feedback is super helpful! It definitely makes my writing stronger.

cleemckenzie said...

Greedy for feedback here as well! Thanks for the laughs this morning. Loved the one with the dog and the writer. How often I've uttered those words.

M.J. Fifield said...

Love the meme with the dog at the computer. I pretty much feel like that all the time. And the one that follows, too, but...

I had two fantastic critique partners a while back. Their feedback was always so spot-on and helpful. They were always pushing me to be a better writer, and I loved them for it...even when it meant more work for me.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's why I make sure DLP submissions have critique partners - every writer needs that feedback.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tara - we definitely need feed back ... and I so enjoy positive comments on my posts ... congratulations to you with your approach - cheers Hilary

Christine Rains said...

Happy October! Feedback is so very important. I don't know what I'd do without my CPs and betas!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Feedback is very important. I've lost my two most very best in the universe beta readers. Blogger Jo and my mom. I'll always miss them extra sharply when I finish a story and need it read.

Definitely hang in there!

Gwen Gardner said...

Constructive feedback is so helpful. A new set of eyes always brings new insights.

Popular Posts