Sunday, October 10, 2010

Grow up!

So I was ordering a cake at the bakery. There was a lady there that said her son's birthday was the same day as my son's birthday. What a coincidence. But hers is turning 25.

Then she said he wants a Wii. It sounded like he was still living with her. Maybe not.
But it made me wonder how many young adults still live with their parents. Especially with the new healthcare law forcing insurers to cover "kids" until they are 26. It just doesn't seem right.

I was hoping some of those fresh twenty-somethings could help come up with new ideas. Find solutions instead of being part of the problem. Believe me, I know how hard it is to get a job out there - I know too many people out of work. People who need to work to support their families. But living at home and sponging off parents? Sounds lazy to me. And sounds like the parents are letting them be. Are these the same parents that never forced their kids to do chores? That didn't really keep tabs on them when they got older?

Kids will get away with whatever we let them - as long as we let them. I know some very productive twenty-somethings. They are struggling being on their own, but they are doing it. We did it. At one time I worked 4 jobs to afford my apartment and car. I also didn't have health insurance because it was all part time. There weren't enough jobs then, either. There are even less now. There's lots of undesirable jobs available - like the jobs illegal immigrants do for us and jobs that are outsourced to other countries...lazy Americans!

I wonder how things will be when my kids get older. Maybe I'll be changing my tune. I hope there will be room for them in the workforce. Who's gonna take care of me when I'm old!

No comments:

Popular Posts