And life is full of changes, getting older, moving, job changes, relationship status, health issues, etc. And if you have to go through more than one at the same time, your stress level can go through the roof!
I'm in the midst of several changes, almost all of the above. I'm dealing with it in the best way I know how, but I know I've been snapping people's heads off when the stress gets to me. Then I feel horrible. I try to keep positive, but juggling all these new headaches is making me crazy.
The hardest part has been losing my writing life and missing out on book events. It's hard enough to be a writer, but when you have a good thing going and it falls apart, it's so hard to start over. It's easy to doubt and wonder if this is the part where I'm supposed to give up and move on...
So for IWSG this month, I'm looking for ways to deal with change. Here's what I came up with:
- One thing at a time - It doesn't all have to be done at once. I have to ask myself: What can I handle today?
- Ask for help - I'm so grateful for this community. I got so much help this summer. When you're down, you've got a friend!
- Don't overdo it - I tend to work, work, work until I fall asleep. I feel overwhelmed and rushed, like I have to get everything done ASAP! But I know many of the things can wait, so I decided to shut down at a certain time every day. Then I can relax a little before going to bed.
- Make time for family - they're the ones usually taking the brunt of my sharp tongue. I have to show them I can be nice and fun and still love them.
- Organize the mess - I have several unfinished projects I want to get to, but they are low priority. Seeing them sitting there unfinished is a big stresser. So I write myself a list of the things I need to get to when I make some project time and put the projects away out of sight.
- Go shopping - or sit outside with my dog and a glass of wine or watch a favorite show... just do something away from the stress. The stuff will still be there, but if I'm too irritated, I won't be able to concentrate and get things done anyway.
Setting aside time each weekend morning in August, I was able to type up, then edit down my submission for the IWSG Anthology Contest. I'll let you know if I make it... Probably keep it to myself if I don't. But I'm proud of myself for getting it done!
I'm just trying to get my life back into a groove, then I think things will start looking up, right?
Do you have any advice for an over-stressed workaholic?
Hope September is falling into place!