Monday, March 16, 2020

7 Ways for #Writers to Get Noticed

Hope everyone is well!
If you're cooped up, it's a great time to write, right?


Last week, I talked about the lonely, secluded life of a writer. This week, I'm telling you to face your fears and get out there and show the world your stuff! If you want your stories to be read, you're going to have to take some risks.

7 Ways for Writers to Get Noticed...


  1. Make Connections - whether virtually or face-to-face, you have to say something if you want to get noticed. Go to a conference and meet other writers and readers. Comment on tweets, follow folks who say stuff you can relate to. See what you have in common and be open to what you don't. You never know who you'll meet!
  2. Come up with a Gimmick - Some people have natural charisma or charm, others have to create something that draws people to them. It doesn't have to be something dumb or fake--it should represent you and your books. Like that guy on tik tok who rides a unicycle all the time - have you seen the one where he takes down a Star Wars AT-AT Walker? It's great! I haven't found mine yet, but I keep trying...
  3. Give Stuff Away - Raffles, Giveaways, Sales, Prizes, Contests... People like free stuff and some of them will notice you when they enter for free stuff.
  4. Post Pithy Prose on the Socials - There are a few twitter peeps I love reading. Some of them come up with great quotes or funny pics or thought-provoking questions. They have tons of followers. That's the way to do it! Unfortunately, I usually come up with my funny stuff while I'm at school away from my phone... (sure, that's it)
  5. Try New Avenues - Find your readers. Where do they hang out? IRL and online. Create videos, pin stuff, make stuff and post pics of your success and/or failure. The more you do, the better.
  6. Give and you will Receive - Guest posts, interviews, reviews, a street team. All great ways you can help other writers and they will help you in return!
  7. Don't be afraid to look Silly! In fact, the sillier the better! But it has to be authentic. Sing, dance, recite, dress up, act something out. As long as nobody gets hurt, go nuts.
Even if you only get noticed by a few dozen people, that's a dozen more than knew you before. Maybe they'll pass along the great story about you to others. You never know... If you don't try, you'll never be noticed. Keep at it!


Speaking of getting noticed, I'm almost done with my Taking Back Beast World campaign. It's going pretty well! I've seen interest, made new connections, and republished. Always more to do, but very happy with how it's going. (Still making my rounds to commenters on my guest posts--a good problem to have!)

Today, I'm guest posting at Juneta's wonderful Writer's Gambit blog talking about self-publishing joys and woes, plus a surprise. And my buddy Christine Rains is giving me a super duper review shout out. Hope you can stop by!

And need some hand sanitizer? I'm doing my part with FREE E-books this week, plus Discounted paper books with a free hand sanitizer with each order! Here's the FORM

What advice do you have for getting noticed?
Ever meet someone who turned out to be a great contact?

Happy Writing!
and Wash your hands =)

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Definitely need to be a giver.
Unfortunately, I am not skilled on a unicycle.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I have no problem looking silly. Any events I do around Christmas, I wear my elf hat. Staff always comments that they can hear the jingle of my bell all over the store. (As I always roam.)

Yolanda Renée said...

My hairdresser sells more of my books than anyone. She's awesome!
Great list!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Great tips which I'm sure will be appreciated by so many authors.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tara - goodness gracious he's a bagpiper too - with fiery bagpipe nostrils and a string to trick the beastie into being tied into knots. Glad he was able to ride off into the sunset!

Great tips - being able to laugh at oneself is the best ... then people always warm to one's ideas and character ... Yup - getting known is the thing ...

Well done on getting Beast World back ... almost there - all the best - cheers Hilary

Juneta key said...

Wonderful post and tips. I bookmarked it. You have such great ideas. I love watching all the things you do.

Pat Hatt said...

So if I put on a man-thong and do the hula I'll get all kinds of sales and be rich? Damn, I need to get on that. (not sure why that popped in, but it did lol)

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

Great tips! So many different ways authors can get noticed and ways we can help other authors too. :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Great tips. It's not always easy to get noticed.

Suzanne Furness said...

Some great tips. Humour and a little silliness is a a great way to get noticed.

Victoria Marie Lees said...

These are excellent tips to get noticed in the noise, Tara. Thank you so much for sharing these with your followers. I took notes. Now, if I could just finish the manuscript... Be safe, my dear!

Jocelyn Anastasia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Empty Nest Insider said...

These are all excellent tips and I agree that a little silliness goes a long way! Wishing you all the best with Beast World, Tara!

Julie

Popular Posts