Monday, March 9, 2020

#WritersLife can be Lonely

Many writers and artists are introverts. It can be a lonely occupation. We sit alone with our thoughts, expressing them through written words and images. It takes a lot of courage for creatives to put their work out into the public for scrutiny and judgment.

But we must! We need to share our hard work - everyone needs validation and approval, despite some negative feedback which should help us improve and grow stronger, right?

Starting slowly, we send our precious works out into the world. First, we recruit betas and critique partners who are the best encouragers, giving insightful, constructive advice. When we feel confident (haha) to move on, we can hire an editor, or polish it as shiny as possible, and try querying, continuing to improve with each rejection--which will be many!

Once you are published, (and you will be published, but only if you keep at it!) that's when the really hard work starts. Marketing.

As a teacher, I consider myself more outgoing since I get up in front of very critical audiences on a daily basis! I'm not afraid to go to events and put myself out there. But as a writer, I'm a one woman show. I have to set my own writing goals and deadlines. I have to look for the events and try new things and leave my comfort zone. I have to make a commitment to myself to keep writing and figure out ways to market my books without annoying all my friends!

It can be very difficult to keep going with so many negatives to overcome. And it's all on us. The negatives are a direct reflection on our work, so it's hard not to take it personally or let it get us down!

And that's why I'm so thankful (again!) for the writing community. We all know how it is. I can't say enough how much I appreciate my awesome writer friends. They understand and won't let me give up!


If you'd like to join our weekly twitter chat where we discuss writerly things and life in general, we'd love to have you. Don't forget the hashtag!

Now this...
I had another great week during the TAKING BACK BEAST WORLD campaign! ONWARD is out there, and apparently it will make you cry. I don't like to cry at movies, especially animated features.


But like I said, it was a fantastic week! I had so many visitors at C. Lee McKenzie's & Alex Cavanaugh's blogs, I'm still getting around to visiting back! So here's a big

This week, I'll be talking about School Presentations at Sherry Ellis's place. She's also a great example of excellent MG writing and putting herself out there. Hope you can stop by!

Are you an introvert? Do you go to writerly events?
What advice do you have to encourage writers to get out there?

Happy Daylight Savings!

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy to help!
I try to avoid the spotlight whenever possible.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

My biggest writer worry is not being able to keep up. There is so much to do that we could work every single minute of the day and there would still be things on the to-do list. And sometimes that thought creeps into my head- is it worth it? Then I'll wish I was addicted to veggies and fitness...

Christine Rains said...

The writing community is fantastic! It is tough to keep going sometimes, but the encouragement and support from other writers has been immense. :) You're doing great with marketing. Me, not so much, as I like to be the one behind the curtain where no one can see me.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I feel like a one woman show some days.

I'm speaking at the writing events I attend, but I'm very used to it now. Many years of practice there.

M.J. Fifield said...

The writing community is really great. So glad you've been feeling the love from them—it's well deserved!

I've attended a few writer/author/book events but took a hiatus from them last year. I'm sure I'll go back to them eventually.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Yep, there is so much more to being an author than simply writing a book, you have to be made of stern stuff.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Blogland is a great safe haven for introverts.

Have a pleasant week, Tara.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm so glad your campaign is going awesome!!! I don't remember if I signed up or not. If I didn't, please consider me for a late add-in .. or just a Twitter happy helper. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm definitely an introvert, but I can fake being an extrovert as needed. Teaching has helped me enormously in that respect. Helping kids learn to cope with being in the spotlight has helped me learn a few things too :)

Yolanda Renée said...

I haven't been to a writerly event in ages, need to get back out there, but now the restrictions are another excuse not to. LOL, I'm happy being an introvert - no, not really. I used to love the whole process... Yeah, it might be time to change things up! Thanks for the push.

Murees Dupè said...

I'm an introvert too. This community is awesome. I also wish there were other writers around I can have coffee with every now and again. I haven't been to a writing event yet. There aren't many events, if any, around where i live in South Africa.

Juneta key said...

You are doing an awesome job! You go. Great post.

SpacerGuy said...

Keep following your ideas which won't go away cos like sooner or later that gap in the market will present itself.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

The wonderful people I meet in the writing world are so inspiring.

Sandra Cox said...

Great post, Tara. Writing certainly is a lonely business, thank goodness for our online friends.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I'm the oddball here. I'm definitely not an introvert, and am totally comfortable giving presentations in front of large crowds. Marketing my books is another story, though. I am TERRIBLE at self-promotion. :)

Nithya said...

I always love the writer community, they encourage so many people with their words !!! They have such immense knowledge to inspire many, the encouragement and support they provide through their lovely thoughts are amazing !!! Glad to know that your campaign is going well. Have a great day !!

Popular Posts