That's right. Blog Quette (short for etiquette).
Who knows the rules? I don't. I didn't even know what blog stood for when I started out. (psst, it's an abbreviation for web-log) But I know what I like. After visiting a ton of sites for this challenge, I've come up with a few unwritten rules for good blogging.
- Less is More. Don't let your blog get too busy. Some blogs are like shopping at Marshall's - too much to choose from all at once, aah! And the reverse is also true - don't be too plain. Show us who you are and jazz it up a little. How many of you are still using the library background? Try the template designer.
- Stay regular. Post on a regular basis. We are counting on you to provide us with useless (or useful) drivel to brighten our day!
- Less Ads. I don't know about you, but I can't stand commercials. Isn't that why someone invented tivo? to FF thru the ads? A few are ok, but don't overdo it.
- Posts - personally I like em brief and to the point. I skim over long-winded posts. Pictures and lists! are appealing. Got a lot to say? break it up into separate posts, make us come back.
- Replies. Try to reply to your comments. As you get more popular, replies can be fewer - I'll let you know when I reach that point, ha ha.
- Good commenting. This is a great post from Jane Friedman about putting your best foot forward when making comments (like it's rude to link to your blog in the comments unless it's for a challenge)
- Courtesy. Link back in your post. When you do a challenge, contest, copy something, get an award, whatever. Give credit where it's due.
- About you. People want to know who you are! Make it visible. And as a wise assistant to a shark advises put your contact info in it, at least an email (you can create a special email, like gmail, just for this purpose, if you have any Quams)
- Following. By all means, if you want more followers, make it easy for them! Put the gadget at the top.