Writing a book - Agent VS epub
(usually on Fridays I collect my thoughts and spout what I've been working on in my efforts to be published, schedule is off with this challenge.) Lately I've been researching and this is a hot topic! Here's what I have concluded (and correct or add as you see fit, I'm no expert!):
- they work for you - if you don't make money, they don't make money. They want you to succeed!
- they are experienced - they know the business, have connections, know what steps to take
- they can help - with editing, covers, publicity, advice, etc
- super selective, more so these days
- production is slow process (compared to epub)
- authors have to do more editing and promotion than some might think
- it seems easier, but I've heard mixed things, depends on what service you use
- quicker output
- you're on your own
- or you can pay for expertise
- total self-promotion and editing
The bookstore I frequent is closing - what does that mean to me? I'm in the process of querying and wonder, "Am I wasting my time? Should I just epub myself?" But I don't want to do it myself. I want help and experience and connections from a great agent! Maybe when I get to the point of being sick of querying and can't get an agent, then I'll try to epub.
I want some opinions! Would you consider it? What do you think? I know several of you that have put your books out there yourselves - how did you do it? how is it going? why did you do it?