Friday, April 26, 2013

Omega (for W)

No, it isn't the end. But W is another pesky letter we have that the Greek alphabet doesn't. Woot! It's W day! We're almost done!

From the messy countertop of the Lazy Housewife...

Walking. Simple, yet effective. And a great way to multitask. Walking, requires little brain power, you just try not to walk into things like oncoming traffic, and don't trip. And watch out for that goose poop! Yuck! But here are a few of the many advantages and some TIPS for walking:

  • Exercise - the most obvious. Get up offa that thing! (courtesy James Brown)
  • Reduces Stress - gives you time to think and sort things out... or not think
  • Energizes - you just feel better after a good walk, ready to take on the next big thing, or be the next big thing!
  • Fresh air - being outside on a nice day just puts a smile on my face
  • Listen - to a book, music, or nature
  • Take the dog - if you have one, they need exercise too, and they are great walking partners.
  • Take a friend - the walk goes by so fast when you're gabbing with a friend
  • Treadmill - if you can't go outside, a treadmill has the same benefits, except the outside stuff. but on a treadmill, you can read or blog or catch up on a show
Extra W news: Weekly Support!


  • Celebrate the Small Things! Every Friday, my friend Vikki hosts a hop for us to support each other in our weekly accomplishments
  • Express Yourself! Danielle and Jackie get your week going by giving you a Monday topic to blog about


BTW, from yesterday, Velcro was invented in 1948 by a Swiss engineer (George de Mestralwho got the idea from burrs sticking to his dog!


Editing Tips

was - weak! telling. need ACTION! can have some, but replace most.

commonly confused "W" words:
wander (to roam aimlessly) / wonder (to have curiosity or doubt)
wrack (n, wreckage, ruin) / rack (v, to strain, torture, or torment)
wreak (to vent, bring about, or inflict upon a person) / reek (to give off fumes or unpleasant odor)
woke awoke (use awoke unless using woke up)

Find more A to Z posts here.

19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My wife and I take walks now and then, but mostly I run on a treadmill several times a week. Jamming to tunes, of course!

Brinda said...

I love reading on my iPad while aking on the treadmill!

Dana said...

The only way I can get through a session on the treadmill is by reading. Exercise and I are not friends. :P

Rhonda Albom said...

I love walks outside, but find treadmill totally boring.

Rhonda @Laugh Quotes

M.J. Fifield said...

I have a dog who never tires so we take very long walks or jogs almost daily.

But I'd love to have a treadmill for the winter months.

Rena said...

Walking is awesome. I just wished I lived closer to the ocean so I could walk along the headlands...

Mark Means said...

Walking is great exercise and better yet, as you mention, it's great to get outside...especially in our great Florida weather :D

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Will be checking my WIP for 'was'. Great tips today. I walked to the library.

VikLit said...

Fascinating info about Velcro!

Carrie-Anne said...

Why did I say velcro was invented in 1941? I must not've been wearing contacts or glasses when I was looking that up, or maybe someone had wrongly edited that Wikipedia entry!

I love walking. I've been doing it for exercise since I was 16.

Julie Flanders said...

Walking is my favorite way to exercise. Except for the goose poop! LOL there is a gang of geese who live in my neighborhood park and I love seeing them but they sure do make things messy sometimes.

Happy Friday, Tara! :)

Anonymous said...

Walking works for me, and the dog loves it. Happy Friday to you and have a wonderful weekend:)

Christine Rains said...

I love to walk and I definitely don't get out enough. Have a wonderful weekend!

Carol Kilgore said...

I love to walk. One of my dogs is a good walking pal. The other is not. But if I take one, I have to take two. So I walk solo most of the time. Or with another human.

Barbara White Daille said...

I love to walk but need music or an audio book to get me through it or I'm easily bored.

I need to watch the was words, too.

Barbara
Honoring W Blogs in this A to Z
The Daille-y News

L. Diane Wolfe said...

When the A to Z is over, I'm jumping on our treadmill every day.

Golden Eagle said...

Went for a couple walks today--felt good to get outside!

Rob-bear said...

Yes walking is good for one's health. No question of that.

In that regard, I've found a number of people concerned about my health. They say "Take a Walk!'" to me, regularly.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting

LD Masterson said...

I can walk for exercise and I can take the dog but not at the same time. She insists on stopping to sniff every blade of grass.

I also like to work on plots or scenes while I walk. My trusty voice recorder with the clip on collar mic is a good walking friend.

Popular Posts