Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Omikron

From the messy countertop of the Lazy Housewife...


Optimism. Time for another boost of Optimism! Being a lazy housewife/husband is hard and discouraging. We need Others to vent to and lift us up when we are down so we can carry on. Who else would do our job? Our families need us! TIPS for staying Optimistic:

  • Pause - with all the gaming, the term "pause" is used more frequently. I tell the kids at home and at school to pause what they are doing so I can tell them something and it gets their attention. But we need to pause too. When I get angry or irritated and start snapping at everyone, I have to take a break, do something that makes me happy - talk with a friend, play a game with my boys, take a walk. Reboot!
  • Don't Overdo! - everyone has a limit, even Wonder Woman was vulnerable sometimes. You have to gauge yourself and not take on too much - it stresses you out and you get cranky and yell and then the kids yell and then the hub yells, a very nasty cycle forms. Head it off before it starts. See the above tip. 
  • Exercise - have I said this before? I say it a lot because so many of us need to do it more, especially me. I'm hoping if I say it more, I might actually heed my own advice!
  • Sleep - Lack of sleep = lack of patience = not happy!
  • Others - don't be afraid to lean. We were not put here to be alone. Reach out - someone is bound to put that smile back on your face - and you will help them right back.
And here are "Six Weird Things that Make You Happy" from Prevention (1/13):
  1. Tearjerker Movies - they make you remember why you love your loved ones
  2. Aging - what? I know, right? Apparently as we age our neurons react less to negative things, therefore we are more positive! (Another amazing thing God does for us)
  3. A Fake Smile - smiling, fake or real, eases stress and boosts your mood
  4. Thursdays - (that's tomorrow!) it's the upsweep to the weekend! we made it through the first three days and over the hump!
  5. Doing Less for Your Kids - I like this one. Mothers who worry too much about making their kids happy are usually more depressed. Lighten up. (I must be ecstatic!)
  6. Reading a Newspaper - get your hands dirty! Happier people read the real thing, according to a study.

Editing Tips

Only - only follows the word it modifies, as an adverb. when in doubt, put it after the verb, unless used as an adjective.
of - a filler word, most can be removed.

commonly misused "O" word:  okay (not ok!)

O compound words
off balance       off-duty       offtrack       old-fashioned
once-over       online       out-of-body       over(anything) - no hyphen
Find more A to Z posts here.

29 comments:

Suzi said...

I like that pause thing, I may have to try that.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I used to have that cartoon/caption - "A clean house is a sign of a wasted life." I need to find it and put it up again where I can see it. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Stina said...

I'm totally getting a large-sized poster for my family room of that clean house is a wasted life picture. And I'm framing it. :D

I'm good with the exercise part. It's the lack of sleep I need to work on.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Are you ecstatic?
Exercise does so much for the body. It doesn't wear you out - it refreshes you, mentally and physically.

M.J. Fifield said...

And here I was, just trying to decide between exercising or going to buy a dozen donuts and eating them all. Since I don't see "eat a dozen donuts" on your list, I should probably go with the first one, huh?

Unless eating donuts can be counted as exercise, that is...

Optimistic Existentialist said...

GREAT tips!! I agree 100% with reading the "real" newspaper rather than the online versions. And yes the importance of smiling cannot be overstated. Such a great post Tara :)

Kim Van Sickler said...

I was ecstatic to learn that my neurons will someday soon start to react less to negative things. I'm ready!!! And true, true, true, about trying to please you children. They have to learn to become self-sufficient and please themselves!!!

Heather M. Gardner said...

Optimism.

I could use some of that!

Exercise. Yeah, that too.

Heather

Emily R. King said...

I needed more optimism today, Tara. Thanks!

LD Masterson said...

I remember when we said "take a break" instead of "pause". Pre-electronics.

I think as we age we just realize how much some things we used to think mattered really don't.

Unknown said...

I love aging. Sounds weird and there are things about it that make me laugh. But mostly, yes, I find it much easier to let things go than I used to or say no to things/people that I know aren't positive and healthy for me.

Exercise, for me anyway, is HUGE. It doesn't have to always be super intense, it just has to be.

Rena said...

I've really been enjoying your tips this month. You have a ton of awesome ideas here.

Tara Tyler said...

you guys are so over the top outstanding!
i am glad we are on the back half of the alphabet so i can go catch up with you!!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I want that cartoon for my wall.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reminder! I'm trying to be more positive in my life as well. The only thing is, it's HARD. I think it's the hardest thing to ever do. Those negative voices love to scream, don't they?! :D

Pausing is always something that helps!

Jamie Dement (LadYJai)

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I need that cartoon for my wall - and to show my husband.

Bob Sanchez said...

Good post! I especially agree about the fake smiles. I've found that what starts out as my fake smile often turns into a real one.

Carrie-Anne said...

I've broken myself of my old habit of overusing "of." I always thought it was more correct to say something like "all of the children," but I've found that removing of in constructions like that doesn't sound grammatically incorrect or obfuscate the meaning.

Nicki Elson said...

Ah! I have been stumbling over the "only" in my book blurb but couldn't quite pinpoint why until this post. Thank you! I'll get that changed (where I can).

Really enjoyed the rest of your post too. Who knew reading the newspaper could make people happier?

Dana said...

I had no idea a fake smile could make us happy. I'll have to try that. ☺

Hannah said...

Another brilliant post. Loving the daily tips i'm bookmarking here!! ;)

Mark Means said...

Exercise...boy do I need to heed that tip. We've been working on the 'eating right' thing...now we have to get the exercise thing down pat again.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

The editing tips today opened my eyes a bit. Great Lazy Housewife tips today. Tear jerkers make us realize we don't have it so bad.

VikLit said...

I love the notion of being more positive the older you get. I plan on being a VERY SMILEY old person ;)

Carol Kilgore said...

I never know where to put only.

Rhonda Albom said...

Sleep and exercise, that's where I most often fail. Great tips.

Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com

Kinley Dane said...

I've heard that one about smiling, even when you are in a bad mood, and it can lift your spirits. The problem is, I always forget to do it :)

Christine Rains said...

Awesome O post. I find that I'm less negative now that I'm older. I still stress, but everything isn't the end of the world.

Michelle Wallace said...

Fake smile? Hilarious! Why not go for the real thing... it's so much easier! (Unless you have a heavy dose of botox, of course...)

Writer In Transit

Popular Posts