Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rho

R extra! I recently met Rhonda Parrish through this challenge. She is the publisher of Niteblade magazine, and she is gathering speculative fiction pieces about cancer to publish an anthology to Raise money for the cause. I submitted a poem. Check her out!

From the messy countertop of the Lazy Housewife...

Remember. One of the worst things to lose is my memory. That's why I use my lists. But I struggle with remembering the things I would like to improve about myself. Here are a few things I am working on, that I wish I could remember before I do them...


  • Let others finish their sentences. (I'm the interrupting cow! Knock, knock! Who's th...Moo!)
  • Slow down. I'm always in a rush - probably because I cut things too close and things come up I don't plan for that make me run late
  • Patience is something I don't have time for... see above
  • Stop correcting people, especially spouse, especially in front of others
  • Don't procrastinate
  • Be more positive
TIPS:
     Remember to make time for you
     Remember to think about and plan for your future!
     Remember to appreciate what you have

Bonus R - Read more! Research says Relating to a fictional character creates a satisfying sense of belonging. Writers are therapeutic!!


Editing Tips

Redundancies and Repetition - Many action verbs don't need defining, most common - shrugged his shoulders, nodded his head, etc. And did I really need to say repetition? Did I?
Regions - use lowercase to designate direction, like north. Use capitals when referring to a region, country, etc, like the South.

commonly confused "R" words:
rein (to gather in or control) / reign (to rule over)
rigid (stiff, hard, strict) / turgid (swollen, distended)
rogue (scamp, scoundrel) / rouge (blusher)

And lastly, here's a drabble I wrote a while back about Remembering (or forgetting...)

Losing It.

I came in here for something.

I see my book. I sit down and read. The burly soldier is about to have his way with the buxom maid. Words are blurry.

I need my glasses. I think they’re in the kitchen.

I look in my purse and find a receipt. I have to return a blouse. I go upstairs to get it.

My cat is on my bed. I pet him. He’s shedding. I go back downstairs to get his brush. The doorbell rings.

It’s a delivery man. “Ma’am you still need to sign this.”

“Wait a minute. I’ll go find a pen.”

Find more A to Z posts here.

25 comments:

Rhonda Albom said...

I had no idea we were so alike until I read your list, which could have been mine. Love that you "still" need to sign :)
Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have to show my wife that drabble - she does that all the time!
I'm guilty of correcting my wife when she mispronounces something. I know, bad husband. At least I never do it in front of others.

Al Diaz said...

Somehow this sound familiar. OOOh, so familiar!

Cathrina Constantine said...

Love this post, Tara. My memory slips every few seconds. And thanks for the redundancy tips.

Dana said...

Oh, man. I need to work on all those things, too—although I didn't realize it until I saw your list. Thanks.

Yolanda Renée said...

Funny post, but the sad thing, most of us, but especially me, can relate!

Love the drabble, so my life!

Yolanda Renée said...

Funny post, but the sad thing, most of us, but especially me, can relate!

Love the drabble, so my life!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

These editing tips caught my attention. Will have to check my writing for them. Remembering things is essential.

Ink in the Book said...

I loved your R post. Really:)

Unknown said...

Great Reminders of what is important.

Anonymous said...

Ha! It happens to all of us, doesn't it, no matter what our age...too many things at once.

Beth
https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com

Carol Kilgore said...

Your post today? Remember? I could've written that. Word for word. I think you have a camera here and a spy in my head.

Carol Kilgore said...

Forgot. See?
Laughed out loud at your drabble.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Trying to remember not to open mouth, insert foot? I'm much better than when I was young but I can still be very blunt.

Rhonda Parrish said...

Thank you very much for the shout-out. I truly appreciate it :)

I also loved your drabble. Well done!

Kinley Dane said...

Ha ha ha, that poem is awesome! It reminds me of how I clean my house :) I start on one project, go to another room to put something away, see another project, start on that, and so one. My house ends up messier than when I started!

Christine Rains said...

Fantastic drabble! I need to do more lists to remember. I used to have such a keen mind, but after having a kid, well, I lost it in childbirth.

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Fun poem and a post filled with good advice.
Madeleine Begun Kane

Carrie-Anne said...

I remember my editor at the newspaper sometimes lowercasing words that specifically referred to regions, like Eastern Europe or the North. I knew she was wrong, but I had to follow the paper's established style.

VikLit said...

Love your drabble!

M.J. Fifield said...

Love the drabble. It sounds a lot like my days.

And I keep meaning to stop procrastinating, but I guess I'll have to do it later.

DL Hammons said...

I think I'm quickly approaching the stage where lists are a necessity! :)

Mark Means said...

Loved your "Remember" tips...especially "Be more positive." Heck, I loved all the tips...as usual.

Great (as always) post :)

Carrie Butler said...

I wish I could slow down! How nice would that be? ;)

Heather M. Gardner said...

Yep. You just described my day.

Great list of things we all need to work on about ourselves.

Heather

Popular Posts