Saturday, April 27, 2013

Chi

From the messy countertop of the Lazy Housewife...

Xercise! So sue me, not many things start with X. And Xercise is important! I know I've mentioned xercise before, but it bears repeating! So here are some MORE TIPS, gathered from Prevention and SELF magazines and then some!
  • To motivate us to keep at exercising, Prevention recommends...
    • Start with "show-off" muscles like biceps which show results in as little as 2 weeks!
    • exercise in front of a mirror to see your muscles at work, flex it baby!
    • music - lifting to the beat is inspiring
    • challenge or even dare yourself to beat your last number of reps or to add weights
    • bring a friend - letting someone else down is harder than just letting yourself down
    • multitask - two moves are better than one and you get done with your workout quicker
  • SELF says...
    • do less cardio! their study said 30 min/day and 60 min/day lost about the same amount of fat in one week
    • try a new class, like 2Fly - a combination of aerobics and strength to a retro 90s beat
    • mind power - when doing an activity, think positive thoughts and you will be less likely to fail or fall. if you think you'll nose dive, you probably will!
    • workout in the AM
      • you feel fresher in the morning and by afternoon, you may use the too tired excuse
      • treats aren't as tempting, since you worked out, you may not want to waste it on that donut
      • mood high! you'll be happier all day
      • exercise gets brain juices flowing too, so you will be more productive
      • you will sleep better
      • and to motivate you: set a loud alarm & lay out your workout clothes the night before
  • Now the Lazy Housewife advice - Xercise while you...
    • pick up groceries - bicep curl those cans and 5 pound sugar sack and powerades... heck, we have to lift them about five times each (think about it)
    • walk upstairs - squeeze those glutes!
    • do the dishes, vacuum, & make dinner - ab crunches
    • talk on the phone - leg lifts, or any xercise of choice!
X Xtra: I have to mention another Xtra special blogger - Lady Jai is doing some awesome posts with Post It Notes. Great bits of advice in little reminder size! Check her out!


Editing Tips

Xtra spaces - go "find" all your double spaces - you will be surprised how many you have. And gone are the days of double spacing after a sentence - all single spacing, all the time. And check the beginning sand ends of paragraphs for an extra space which sometimes tag along when editing... little invisible buggers!

Find more A to Z posts here.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I *really* need to exercise. I just wish i could have a personal trainer. I can't seem to motivate myself for very long...by myself. I think I need to have someone in my face, yelling at me. I just wish I could afford one :-)

Thank you so much for the shout out! I'm so glad people like my post-it notes. I did it more for myself than anyone but sharing the motivation is so nice, too.

Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
Http://writebackwards.we3dements.com

Nick Wilford said...

I think I need to step up. I'm tired just from reading your post!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

My mom loves exercising to music. Nice exercising tips Tara.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If I could work out in the morning instead of going to my job, I would. (And no, I already get up around five in the morning - not getting up any earlier.)
And show off muscles? Like my big guns? No?

Fida Islaih said...

Thanks for the xtra xercise tips!! :-)

Dana said...

Great tips! I almost always walk around the house when I'm on the phone, and I think that helps a little. I still need to get back on that treadmill, though... :)

Happy weekend!

Jackie said...

Awesome tips! I do the "squeezing" one whenever I think if it! :)

Christine Rains said...

I like these tips. Grocery and housework exercising and Showercising! I'll be fit in... well, some day soon, I hope.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It does make you sleep better.

Mark Means said...

Great tips and I'd also add that triceps (the muscle on the back of your arm) are, also, pretty quick responders.

Great for motivation :)

Carol Kilgore said...

I need to exercise more. Starting in May, it's happening.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Love the idea of less doing just as much as more. That's great news!!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Love the idea of less doing just as much as more. That's great news!!

M.J. Fifield said...

That's interesting about the less cardio losing about the same amount of fat.

And I went through my manuscripts a few months ago to get rid of that pesky double space. That was one hard habit to break.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Whew!

Just reading your post made me sweat!

Heather

Carrie-Anne said...

I'll never break my long-engrained habit of double-spacing after a period, though I now only single-space after and before quote marks. At first I didn't space at ALL, until finally, when I was 13, I was worn down by my parents' constant nagging to put a space after a comma and two spaces after a period. It just looks wrong to have only one space, modern trends be damned.

Tronster said...

Great Blog and very interesting editing tips. I am stopping by for the A to Z Challenge.

Good luck on your vacation.

www.tronster.net

Donna K. Weaver said...

I have to do that for the minutes we prepare. My deputy isn't that interested in changing the double space thing. I do it when I proof them. lol

Rhonda Albom said...

I have been xtra lazy lately so not a lot of xercise :) I love that first tip of show off muscles. Maybe my biceps could use a work out :)

Rhonda @Laugh Quotes

Popular Posts