Friday, April 12, 2013

Kappa

From the messy countertop of the Lazy Housewife...

Kids! I love my kids. Kids are full of surprises. Gifts we are blessed with. Too bad instructions aren't included. We only get about nine months to prepare. And no matter how much you read or get advice, no one is ever really ready when the baby arrives. It's extreme on the job training! Then as soon as we figure out how to handle one phase, they move on to another one.

There is so much to say about kids. I listed just a few TIPS:
  • Kids test you at every age to see if you are serious about your rules. Be serious! Be firm!
  • Ages 3-6 - These little ones are sponges, recorders, and mimics. We must set a good example. Teach them. ** Give hugs aplenty! Show your love! ** Be prepared for sickness, especially as school starts - but do not shelter! Getting sick now builds their immune systems ** This is the cutest of ages and though they seem like a lot of trouble, enjoy the fun while it lasts. They need you now, and before you know it, they won't!
  • Ages 7-10 - Enter homework and chores. Keep on them! Don't get weak now, this is your intro to harder times to come ** Chores are the beginnings of responsibility - kids are part of the family and need to do their share - allowance is up to parents, but chores are necessary!
  • Siblings - All ages - kids fight. They also get along. They need to be taught diplomacy (how to settle their differences!) ** At younger ages, I let each child have a turn choosing an activity, then they all get their way ** Free time leads to boredom and bickering, I try to minimize it. When they say "I'm bored" I show them a list of things to do, or else they can do a chore or READ! ** Reward for getting along, punish for mistreatment of each other. Keep at it! They will learn eventually and grow out of it. ** Remember when you were young and use that.
  • Respect and Responsibility - hold kids accountable! It's hard work to be a parent who teaches responsibility and earns respect. Don't give up! Don't give in! Society is making us lazy, don't succumb to its tempting easy way out! Don't give them everything they want - they need to do some work!!
  • Love Quote "Let your children overhear you saying complimentary things to other adults."
  • Ages 11-18 - Kids want love and respect and they love us, even though they don't act like it. ** Know where they are and who they are with. Be nosy. Be embarrassing. ** Gradually let them do things to show they are responsible and you trust them. ** And as you see them change from crabby teens into confident young adults you can talk to, be happy with a job well done! *sniff*
  • But I'm still single! I know some of you aren't married or don't have kids - my advice to you is to get a puppy. Puppies ease you in to having a baby. They are just as gross and almost as delicate, but they only stay puppies for a few months, then you have a faithful companion who will never talk back.
xmas pics 2005-2011


Editing Tips

K compound words:
kick-ass       kick-start       kindhearted

KEEP WRITING!!!
Find more A to Z posts here.

30 comments:

Suzi said...

That I'm bored thing is hard. Especially since it's the end of winter. It's funny how they can be so creative and find things to do, but other times they whine all day about having nothing to do.

Megan said...

I do not have kids, but I'm around teens a lot and have learned patience. Thanks for the tips!

Dana said...

Great advice! I have one of those sick three- to six-year-olds at home with me right now. Unfortunately, now I'm sick, too. Sometimes the little ones bring us these kinds of presents. LOL

Suzanne Furness said...

As a mum whose eldest is just turning 19 I agree with your advice. Each stage has its own ups and downs. Be consistent, show them you love them unconditionally, even when they certainly don't like you very much! Most of all I'd say enjoy having them around all too quickly they will fly the nest. Hopefully as responsible, mature, well rounded adults!

Mark Means said...

As always, great tips! We don't have kids yet, but I like reading your common sense approach :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Get a puppy! Much better answer.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Puppies are good for kids too...nothing has taught my boys to be considerate and responsible more than caring for a pet!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Love you K! Great pics, and great advice! Kids are awesome!!!
I didn't have siblings growing up (I'm one of those onlies) and I've learned that forcing my kids to get along pays off, they are sweet friends to each other most of the time now. I was totally surprised when a friend of mine told me she let her kids settle their difference without her help (when they were little) - I couldn't imagine doing that, although I think my girls are probably tired of hearing me say, "be thankful you have a sister - a built in confidant and friend for life."

Annalisa Crawford said...

Great tips. I realised today that no one holds my hand in the street anymore... It was a sad feeling in a way. Then I turned a corner and saw a woman trying to control her errant 3 year old, and felt better :-)

eN said...

Not yet married, but bookmarking this, seems like lovely advice and so true too!

Love that collage :)

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I'm still single but sorry I'm more a cat person. Puppies are cute though. You give some awesome kid advice. It was great how you separated the ages.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I used to watch that show "Kids say the darndest things".

Rena said...

I concur with your age separation. I'm currently in the 3-6 bliss. They are trouble, but they are too sweet for words.

VikLit said...

KEEP WRITING! Absolutely.

LD Masterson said...

This gray haired old granny approves of your list.

Jessie Humphries said...

Ah yes, KIDS! Freaking kids!

Unknown said...

Kids are great. A ton of work, but great. I thought my first two teens were fairly awful--because they WERE fairly awful--but now their younger brother and sister are teens and it's been amazingly awesome. And the older two are good now as well, so it all worked out!

Great list!! Excellent advice here...

Hannah said...

AH another great post. I'll have to book mark it, mine are 5 and 2 plenty of life long tips here...not sure about the puppy though...

Christine Rains said...

What a fantastic post with great tips. I agree with the quote about letting your kids hear you say nice things to other adults. Being a proper role model is so important. My little guy turns three next week. People always are amazed at how kind and well mannered he is. They say it must be so difficult to teach him, but really, it's not. (Plus, I think he knows that being cute and sweet gets him treats from people now!)

Carol Kilgore said...

Great looking kids!

Rhonda Albom said...

They grow up so fast it's hard to believe it. Mine are both teens as of this month (youngest turned 13). I totally agree with your tips, especially accountability.

Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
Visiting from AtoZ #41

Unknown said...

Great post...I've got three of these little adults...love them so much. Keep writing! :) Happy Friday.

M Pax said...

The teenage years were exhausting. I don't miss that.

DL Hammons said...

I think with a little bit of work you can turn your tips into an instruction manual! :)

Julie Flanders said...

The Xmas pics are adorable! Especially love the one with the Santa hats LOL.

Jeff Hargett said...

Thank you. It's always refreshing to see people touting common sense parenting. And that's all I've got to say about that. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great tips, Tara. I've gone back through to see your theme and I like it. Neat idea. (my A to Z is not very thematic...my goal is to just come up with a post for each letter; you bloggers who can theme it as well are my heroes. Wow!)

Heather M. Gardner said...

My advice, get a puppy and ONLY a puppy.

My kid is cute but sheesh, what a pain in the butt!

:)

Great tips, Tara.

Heather

Tara Tyler said...

thanks to much for the comments!
keep em coming!

i'm getting around to you guys!

Bevimus said...

I don't have kids but I do have a dog and from what I hear it is strinkingly similar. The crying ALL night in the very beginning, the constant worrying and "Is that normal?" that has you wondering every other second if you should be rushin them to the vet, the joys of potty training, the anxiety when they won't eat, and so it goes.
Luckily, dogs become adults about 100 times faster than kids so surrving the early days is a lot easier, I imagine!

Popular Posts