Tuesday, January 11, 2011

public speaking

I teach math. I substitute in all subject areas, but I know math and I like to teach it. I enjoyed a geometry class today. I helped a few of them. But during my planning period I had to cover an english class. They were reading The Hollow Men by T. S. Eliot.

It was an honors english class and they took it upon themselves to discuss it as a class to answer questions about it. I was only there to take attendance and pass out papers. I listened and they got most of the symbolism. Now, I am not an English major. But I believed I knew what the interpretation of the last section meant and they were missing it. Being the teacher, I got up and proposed my idea to them - and felt like I was hyperventillating! My heart raced, I couldn't catch my breath. I had stage fright! I don't know what came over me - I teach almost every day! The only other time that happened was when I was auditioning for Disney's American Idol. That was much more nerve wracking than I thought!

Maybe I have a fear of being judged? It won't stop me from doing it again. I will overcome my fears!

No comments:

Popular Posts