- Display - I get lots of compliments on my table, but sometimes I wonder if it's too much - the point is to sell books, not just look pretty... but it does catch their attention. For purely book events I bring less, but for this sci fi con, I'm going all out!
- Banner(s) - and for this event I'm bringing my photo props!
- Black Tablecloth
- Book stands or rack, depends on how much room I have.
- Candy dish, Card holder, Jewelry stands
- Figures - dragon, mermaid, etc, depending on room
- Newsletter signup clipboard
- Raffle bag - depends on the crowd
- Swag - Free stuff with my name & books on it. Hopefully they'll look at it one more time before they toss it... (so don't spend much money on this stuff unless it's useful!)
- Bookmarks - a staple, and I put one series on each side to save on cost
- Postcards - I use postcards to advertise future books or anthologies, and I don't print a ton, it doesn't hurt!
- Author cards - a must, connections are imperative!
- Candy - I attach stickers with my name/books when possible. Candy brings traffic to the table
- Pens - useful, have my name on them, not too expensive
- Magnets - new for this event, they were reasonable and they're useful!
- Bracelets, notepads - these are not free! But I display them to get attention and give them away with the books, helps seal the deal sometimes!
- Gift Bags - I put labels on gift bags for people to carry their purchases from me and I also offer bags if someone is heavy laden - free advertising!
- Me and My Books!
- What to wear - I'm always comfortable, but I do like to add a little flair...
- For bookfairs, I dress business casual, plus add a little glitter in the hair or extra eye makeup
- For Cons like this one, I'll be going dragon - with bigger eye makeup, wings, and possibly a tail if I get around to finishing it!
- the BOOKS!
- I inventory my supply early in case I have to order more
- I bring a box and a half of books, not too many but enough. I've never sold out, but I do sell more every time I go somewhere, so that's positive. This is a bigger event, but most folks are coming for the art, comics, and celebrities. I keep it reasonable and light.
Monday, June 6, 2016
Getting ready for a #sci fi #Conference @SciFiValleyCon !
Since I'm getting ready for this fun event, I thought I'd share my checklist with you. This is what I bring to an event:
I guess it was time I made a badge for my surveys, eh? This is my desk - it says, "Have fun, but get your work done!" Well...
Well, it's full-on summer, and you know what that means... Hot fun in the sun! And we get to go back out and enjoy it. At least I hope y...
"Another day, another nickel." -Squidward