Wednesday, January 5, 2022

New Year, New Life

Happy IWSG day and Happy New Year! I hope your holidays were jolly and you enjoyed time with family and friends. We sure did! We have been truly blessed. And after that short blip of fantasy, it's now time to face harsh reality again.


Big changes are ahead for me and my family this year. 

My oldest son who graduated from college and has a great job moved back in with us last summer to save money. I'm sure he will want to move out this year to be on his own. I've loved having him back, but he's ready to fly.

My middle son--the army guy who lives far away--will be getting married in May, if all goes according to plan. They are young, so you know how that goes.

And my youngest will be graduating high school then heading off to college in August.

I'm really glad I have a job to keep me busy or I don't know what I would do with myself. I've been down about all the changes, not only in my own future, but with the unstable world. I'm a worrier, which usually sends me into action, but I've been frustrated lately because there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. The down time has been awful.

The down time is usually when I write. But this funky mood has taken a hatchet my desire to write.  It's like my muse is being held for ransom somewhere. I haven't worked on my WIPs in a month. Sure the holidays are a busy time and I had to prepare for company as I finished up the semester at school, plus I got a cold in November and the flu in December... but I'm a whirlwind of activity. I thrive on chaos and pressure.

Probably the biggest drain on my willingness to sit down and write is the lack of events. In person book events kept me writing because I love talking to readers, and they bought my books. My writing had a purpose. I felt valued. After trying for two years to finish a new book, I've hit a wall. Motivation has left me stuck in a mud puddle of self-doubt.

With school starting back up, I'll be busy again, so I will survive. But I'm not sure if I'll keep up with my monthly posts. I really appreciate the IWSG and all my writing and blogging friends. You've always been there with acknowledgement and encouragement.

The world is constantly changing with highs and lows to keep it interesting. I hope you are dealing with it better than I am. Maybe I need to refocus and reboot. Maybe I will change tracks and start writing a non-fiction inspirational book... For now, I'm allowing myself to take a break from writing. Sometimes that's what we need to get the spark back, right?

Wishing you happiness and productivity and a light at the end of the tunnel in 2022!



15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Big changes indeed. Just keep connect with us so you don't lose all motivation.

E. Arroyo said...

Wow! Congrats on what's going on with your family. My family and I spent the holidays sick. We are slowly getting better. And yes, you are allowed a break from writing to find your spark again. Don't let guilt make you believe any different. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Tonja Drecker said...

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! You've got so much going on that it's no wonder writing steps back a bit. I just keep telling myself to take everything with stride. Good luck!

Carrie-Anne said...

Congratulations on your son's marriage!

If words aren't coming naturally, it's a good idea to step back from writing until they do. Forced words are never very good, even if it's hard to endure writer's block.

Sandra Cox said...

Sounds like there's a lot going on in your personal life.
I hate it when the muse decides to hole up and hide. Here's hoping she makes an appearance soon and that 2022 is filled with much writing and joy.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Oh big changes happening in your life. Congratulations on your son's wedding.

M.J. Fifield said...

Sometimes a break is exactly what we need to get the spark back. The words will come again when they (and you) are ready, and they'll be fantastic.

cleemckenzie said...

We can all relate to change as inevitable and hating it at the same time. It's so unsettling and requires we work at establishing new systems, adjusting where we fit or are comfortable. Of course, once we're all settled in again...guess what happens? Ah, life.

Here's to facing change, adapting to it, and having the best year we can.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Hard to imagine they would one day grow up, isn't it?

I missed live events so much and was so grateful for the four cons we did last year. Hoping to do more this year as that's what drives me the most.

Shannon Lawrence said...

You've got a lot going on. Things being what they are right now, creativity has been hard for a lot of people to reclaim. Switching my focus to a nonfiction book actually did help me, so maybe switching your focus will help you, too. Good luck either way.

The Warrior Muse

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tara - the nest being empty won't be empty for long - they'll be back and forth .. but I can understand your need to take some time away ... you'll have time to draft ideas in your head. All the best for the year ahead ... and enjoy life despite the change - cheers Hilary

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi Tara,

WOW, so much has happened in your family! ALL good, thankfully! I agree with taking a break. God only knows I have for years and then came storming back... I am in that frame now. I have the motivation to write and get my works out there. I've been dragging my heels for too long.

Since my story was accepted in the IWSG Anthology, I finally will have my first published story. The first of many, I hope. At the end of 2021, I wrote a few new things and submitted them. One was accepted, so I am so grateful for that!

You will write again. I know you will. WE all LOVE the worlds you create and we will be thrilled again when you have another one for us to read.

Take care and stay well, Tara!

Chrys Fey said...

You certainly have a lot to look forward to this year. I hope you have a wonderful 2022. Happy New Year!

Michelle Wallace said...

Happy New Year, Tara!

I hope you're well!
That's a lot of change. But I'm sure that you'll take it in your stride and manage to work everything out.
Congratulation on all the wonderful news about your family, especially the upcoming wedding and graduation!

Diane Burton said...

Love your graphic. So true. You do have a lot of changes coming up. The hardest thing is not being able to do anything about the changes...except accept them. I've been where you are with the writing. Where the words won't come, where you don't even want to open the file. It will pass. Not right away, but hang in there.

Popular Posts